Amongst vegetables cabbage (Brassica Olerecea) and its cruciferous cousins are considered very effective in preventing/curing a variety of diseases. Family members include cauliflower, mustard, broccoli, turnip, radish, Brussels sprouts etc.
Benefits of Cabbage:
- Studies have shown that people who eat cabbage more than once a week were one third as likely to suffer from colon cancer than those who consumed it monthly or less. This is due to the presence of indole, a substance which reduces the chances of getting this form of cancer.
- Smokers who eat cabbage regularly are less likely to develop lung cancer. Fibers found in cabbage also help control cancerous growth.
- Some experts consider cabbage to be extremely effective in dealing with stomach malignancies as well as alleviating stomach pains.
- Cabbage helps elevate oestrogen levels in the blood. It helps prevent osteoporosis and increases bone density. It is also beneficial in reducing the chances of hormone dependent cancers such as breast or prostate cancer .
- Cabbage Juice, soup or uncooked cabbage is best for ulcers.
- Fermentated cabbage is a good fighter against morning sickness.
- Cabbage helps enzymes function in the liver which eliminate carcinogenic substances, induce apoptosis (death of cells), and inhibit cellular proliferation.
- Antioxidants abundant in red cabbage protect the brain from oxidative stress which causes Alzheimer’s disease.
- Green, Almost white and purple cabbages moisten and sooth the gastrointestinal tract, help digestion, relieve constipation, beautify the skin, control colds, whooping coughs, mental stress and irritability.
- They destroy worms; heal wounds, varicose veins, skin eruptions and arthritis.
- Cabbage helps metabolize starch and fat and is thus useful in reducing body weight.
- It is also helpful in optimizing the ability of cells to clean themselves and detoxify organs.
Disadvantage of Cabbage:
The only disadvantage of consuming large quantities of cabbage is the production of gas in digestive canal.
The writer is consultant and Principal Investigator, Division of Food Research, HEJ Research institute of chemistry. University of Karachi.