Among the five sensory organs, eyes are the most beautiful expressive organs we have that also have the capability of vision. Kapha eyes are usually large and clear with thick lashes. Pitta eyes are sharp, penetrating and sensitive and are prone to itchiness or redness. Vata eyes are small, nervous and dry.To prevent eye form damage its care is very necessary. It is best to avoid poor light when reading or using computers or watching television for long hours. Very intense light or using very hot or very cold water on the face and head is also not healthy for the eyes. Applying few drops of almond, coconut or sesame oil around the eyes prevents dark circles.
Dry or dull eyes
The aggravation of Kapha dosha causes dull eyes, while an increase of Vata leads to dryness.
Remedies for Dry or dull eyes
- Use a few drops of honey, ghee or sesame oil in the eyes.
- Boil 1/2 teaspoon of fennel seeds in 1 cup of water until it has reduced to half. Cool and use as eye drops.
- Wash the feet in warm water and massage with oil.
Tense or blood shot eyes
Aggravation of Pitta dosha due to stress, smoke or pollution leads to red sore eyes. Fatigue and insufficient or irregular sleep also causes tense or blood shot eyes.
Remedies for Tense or blood shot eyes
- Put 3 drops of rose water in the eyes.
- Soak a cotton pad in rose water, milk or aloe vera juice and apply to closed eyes for 10-20 minutes while laying down comfortably.
- Place a slice of cucumber on each eye for some time.
- Boil 2 or 3 figs and 1 tablespoon of raisins in 1 cup of milk. Drink each morning.
Alochaka Pitta is responsible for maintaining eyesight and it weakens with age. Proper caring for the eyes is one preventative measure that helps.
Remedies for Weak eyesight
- Grind about half a cup each of almonds, raw sugar and aniseeds. Divide into 40 doses and take one each day with a cup of warm milk.
- Meditate daily on the flame of a candle.
- Rinse the eyes with water daily. Rest eyes if working for long periods.
- Mix some cardamom seeds with 1 tablespoon of honey. Eat daily.